ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. — Some banks and credit unions, including several in New Mexico, already have begun canceling debit or credit cards and issuing new ones in connection with the huge data breach that could affect as many as 40 million shoppers at Target stores around the country.
New Mexico Educators Federal Credit Union has started canceling credit and debit cards that were used at Target by their members and is issuing new ones.
First Financial Credit Union said it will begin canceling cards as soon as it identifies which members used them at Target and reissue new cards.
Southwest Federal Credit Union has set up a special phone number members can use to cancel their cards and get new cards issued immediately.
“Credit unions are all very aware of what is going on,” Mary Beth King of the Credit Union Association of New Mexico told the Journal. “They are all on heightened alert.”
King said the National Credit Union Association is working with the nation’s major credit card companies to find ways to respond to the Target breach and to prevent future problems.
A report from KrebsOnSecurity said some of the cards at risk already were for sale on black markets around the world.
The discounter began offering 10 percent off for customers who shop today and Sunday and free credit-monitoring services to those who’ve been affected.
Angry Target customers expressed their displeasure in comments on the company’s Facebook page. Target also apologized on Facebook and advised customers who see suspicious charges to report them to their card companies and call Target at 866-852-8680.
Jan Hoffmann of Santa Fe heard early morning news reports about the scam Thursday and checked the only account she uses at the store.
“I am checking it more often,” said Hoffmann, who just moved here from Phoenix and was shopping at the Santa Fe store Thursday.
Christopher Browning, of Chesterfield, Va., said he almost was the victim of credit-card fraud earlier this week and believes it was tied to a purchase he made at Target.
On Monday, he got a call from his bank saying there were two attempts to use his card in California – one at a casino in Tracey for $8,000 and the other at a casino in Pacheco for $3,000. Both occurred on Sunday and both were denied.