Banking executive Sanjiv Yajnik talked about ways small businesses can “onboard” military veterans into their organizations.
Yajnik is the Plano, Texas-based president of Capital One Financial Services and a member of Capital One’s executive committee. He is also Capital One’s south-central regional president, overseeing community relations for Capital One in Texas, Oklahoma and Louisiana.
- Veterans have job-ready skills: The skills that make our nation’s veterans outstanding assets in the military can invigorate the American workforce and drive businesses forward. While in the military, service members work in a variety of occupations and develop skills – veterans have great IT skills, for example – that translate directly to the needs of civilian employers today.
- Veterans enhance workforce culture: Veterans are problem-solvers, accustomed to finding flexible solutions in an ever-changing environment. They are task-oriented. They have worked shoulder-to-shoulder with people whose backgrounds and experiences differed sharply from their own. These talents, insights and experiences strengthen the labor and management ranks in the private sector.
- Know where to find veterans: Smart businesses make it loud and clear in ads that they hire veterans. That sends a clear welcome message. Educate your company about available resources and ways to find veterans. You can receive help through your local Veteran Service Organizations and the American Job Center near you (servicelocator.org).
- Hire for aptitude and experience: Military work is fast-paced and detail-oriented. A veteran with six months in an occupation in the service might actually have more hands-on experience than a civilian with years on the job. Veterans have the training and ability to perform jobs under different scenarios.
- Make veterans feel at home: Besides hiring veterans, it’s important that businesses create an atmosphere that helps retain them. That means engaging veterans in ways that let them know they are a valued part of your company. Capital One maintains a Military Network to provide veterans in our ranks with a way to stay actively connected.