ALBUQUERQUE — No. 2 Santa Fe (28-2) earned a wire-to-wire, 51-43, win over Roswell (16-13) In rematch of last season’s Class 4A state semifinals, in which the Coyotes defeated Demonettes in double overtime. Sabrina Lozada-Cabbage led the way with 18 points, followed by Kayla Herrera with 9.
Santa Fe will face No. 6 Valencia in the quarterfinals on Thursday at 9:45 a.m.
“They’re a great team,” Santa Fe coach Elmer Chavez said. “We played them twice last year. We’ll just get ready for them Thursday.”
1st QUARTER: SF 15, ROSWELL 4
– Santa Fe opens on a 8-0 run, taking it’s biggest lead of the game at, 15-4 (1:40). Sabrina Lozada-Cabbage scores six points and Bryana Garcia and Jackie Martinez each has four points, and Kayla Herrera, two.
– Demonette defense has limited Roswell to 2-of-6 shooting, and has forced eight turnovers.
HALFTIME: SF 25, ROSWELL 19
– Roswell opens on a 10-4 run to pull to within five, at 19-14 (3:41)
– Coyotes improve to 7-for-8 shooting in the second period, including hitting 3-of-5 from 3-point territory. Jaedyn De La Cerda leads the Coyotes, scoring all six of her points in the period.
– For Santa Fe, Lozada-Cabbage continues to lead the way, scoring four of the Demonette’s 10 second-period points.
3rd QUARTER: SF 37, ROSWELL 32
– Demonettes outscore Coyotes 12-11 in the period. Lozada-Cabbage remains the game’s high scorer, with 14 points. No one else is in double figures.
Roswell closed to within four, at 33-29, with 1:28 left in the period, but that would be as close as it could get.
– De La Cerda remains Roswell’s high scorer, with eight points.
4th QUARTER: SF 51, R 43
– Roswell closes to within two points twice in the final period.
– At 4:19, Santa Fe outscores Roswell 10-4 tot rest of the way to seal the win.
– Lozada-Cabbage is the game’s leading scorer with 18 points. Da Le Cerda is Roswell’s top scorer with 11.