Delivery alert

There may be an issue with the delivery of your newspaper. This alert will expire at NaN. Click here for more info.

Recover password

Suspect shot dead after police chase

FARMINGTON — Farmington police say a 26-year-old man is dead after being shot during a confrontation with law enforcement officers.

Police say 26-year-old John Robert Marszalek II was fatally wounded Wednesday after a chase and a confrontation with officers from multiple agencies.

A police statement says Marszalek was trying to injure himself before the incident ended with what the statement called a “law enforcement-involved shooting.”

Police did not immediately say whether officers shot Marszalek. However, police Lt. Taft Tracy told The Daily Times of Farmington that officers shot at the man.

The statement says the incident began with a pickup truck being driven recklessly and that a subsequent police chase was called off because of heavy traffic.

It says the confrontation occurred after Marszalek drove back into Farmington and hit a police car.

No officers were injured during the chase and shooting.

The Daily Times reported that Marszalek, who was driving a Dodge truck, led police on a chase for about 20 minutes before crashing into a police car at about 2:20 p.m. at 20th Street and Butler.

Multiple law enforcement agencies were involved in the chase and the suspect’s arrest, Tracy told the newspaper.

A witness said she saw a police officer in street clothes shoot the driver of the blue truck.

Carlene Deal-Smith was sitting in her car at the Walgreens parking lot when she heard sirens, The Daily Times reported. She said she saw the truck crash into a Farmington police car. Then, police swarmed the car and spent about a minute trying to get a man out of the vehicle.

She said she saw an officer in street clothes reach through the truck’s rear driver’s side window and fire two shots, the story reads, and “about a minute later, they pulled him out and started CPR.”

Around 2 p.m., police saw Marszalek driving over the speed limit and suspected he was driving while intoxicated, Tracy told The Daily Times.