ALBUQUERQUE — No. 6 Lovington enters the Class 3A semifinals with an opening-round win over No. 11 Pojoaque Valley, before upsetting No. 3 Silver, 62-41, on Wednesday at the Santa Ana Star Center. The Wildcats are led by 6-foot-8 junior Stephen Lennox. … No. 2 St. Michael’s enters the semis with convincing wins over No. 15 Robertson (62-39) and No. 10 Shiprock (57-49). The Horsemen are led by senior forward Justin Flores. … St. Mike’s will play in the 3A title game Saturday at 10 a.m., at The Pit.
1ST QUARTER: St. Michael’s 12, Lovington 11
– Justin Flores went 3-for-5 from the floor, scoring seven of the Horsemen’s 12 points
– Lennox was the Wildcats’ high scorer with four points
– St. Mike’s went 5 for 16 from the field, against 5-for-12 shooting Lovington
HALFTIME: St. Michael’s 21, Lovington 17
– Scoreless for more than 3 minutes of the period
– The Horsemen outscored the Wildcats, 9-6, in the period.
– Flores remains the team’s leading scorer with 9. Lennox paces Lovington with 10.
3RD QUARTER: St. Michael’s 35, Lovington 25
– Chris Lovato scored all six of his points in the period to help St. Mike’s pull away in the quarter, with a 14-8 advantage.
– Quantel Nash provided the only offense for the Wildcats, scoring six of the team’s eight points.
– Lovington pulls to within 42-37 (2:47), prompting a Horsemen timeout
– A Drew Homer 3-pointer pulls Lovington to within 46-40 (1:29)
– Lovington doesn’t threaten again. Horsemen extend lead back to double figures.