Recover password

Incidents involving James Boyd

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. — Here is a timeline of James Boyd’s incarcerations and run-ins with police.

Jan. 10, 2002: Boyd is charged with battery on a peace officer in Las Cruces.

May, 2, 2002: He is sent to the state’s psychiatric hospital, the Behavioral Health Institute in Las Vegas, for forensic evaluation.

Jan. 29, 2003: He is found competent to stand trial.


Continue reading

July 17, 2003: He is sent back to Las Vegas for another forensic evaluation. Eight months later, February 2004, he is still found incompetent and continued treatment is ordered.

July 7, 2004: He is returned to the Doña Ana County Judicial Complex for competency hearing and on Sept. 9 is found competent to stand trial.

A month later, Oct. 20, 2004, he is involuntarily committed to the Las Vegas facility due to his mental illness and the case is dismissed.

March 3, 2005: Boyd is arrested for assaulting a man on Civic Plaza, telling him: “I am God and I want to hurt you.” He is charged with assault and battery and taken to jail. On July 27, the charges are dropped.

July 11, 2007: Boyd is arrested for disorderly conduct at Albuquerque Fire Station 1 on McKnight NW for pounding on doors and refusing to leave. He tells officers he is a government agent and keeps yelling that he will send them to prison and hell. He is arrested and taken to the Metropolitan Detention Center.

July 15, 2007: While in jail, Boyd is informed that, because of an infraction, he is to be put on a 23-hour lockdown. He becomes violent and begins hitting a corrections officer in the chest. The officer sprays Boyd with pepper spray. Boyd is charged with battery on an officer and resisting an officer.

Oct. 7, 2008: An order of commitment is filed to send Boyd to BHI in Las Vegas for treatment to competency so he can stand trial.

March 2009: Boyd pleads no contest to battery and resisting arrest. He is sentenced to time already served.


Continue reading

A month later, April 15, 2009: Boyd is arrested at St. Martin’s Hospitality Center after getting into a fight with another man and slitting that man’s face several times with a box cutter. Boyd is taken to MDC.

June 18, 2010, while still in jail for the incident at St. Martin’s, Boyd uses a food tray to break three windows of his cell, causing over $1,000 in damage.

August 2010: Boyd pleads no contest to aggravated assault in the St. Martin’s incident and no contest to the criminal damages charge. He is sentenced to 18 months, and gets credit for time already served.

Dec. 21, 2010: Boyd is arrested after causing a disturbance in the public library Downtown. He becomes verbally abusive, resists officers’ attempts to arrest him, then begins fighting with officers, breaking the nose of one of them. He is booked into jail on two counts of battery on the police officers.

March 15, 2011: While in jail for the battery charges, Boyd breaks the window of his cell by striking it with a dinner tray and threatens a correctional officer with physical violence. He is subsequently charged with criminal damage to property and assault on a peace officer.

Aug. 19, 2011: Boyd argues with a fellow inmate and a guard. He breaks three windows in his cell and has to be subdued with pepper spray. He is charged with assault.

October 2011: The charges from the dinner tray incident and from the St. Martin’s incident are dismissed due to mental incompetency.

March 2012: The charges from the library incident are dismissed due to mental health issues.

September 2012: Boyd is sent to BHI in Las Vegas for treatment to bring him to competency in connection with the assault from August 2011. Nearly a year later, August 2013, charges are dismissed after he is found incompetent.

March 16, 2014: While illegally camping in the Sandia foothills, Boyd is involved in another confrontation with police. This one proves fatal.