The applicants come from around the country and there is one applicant from British Columbia.
But it was not immediately clear from a list released Tuesday that included only the names and towns of the applicants if there was more than one applicant who’s now with the Santa Fe Police Department. Current Officer Donna Beck applied.
Former ranking members of the Santa Fe police who put their names in the applicant pool include Raye Byford, Charles Dalton and Anthony Robbin. Also on the list are current Española chief Eric Garcia and former Los Lunas chief Roy Melnick, former State Police Chief Carlos Maldonado, former Albuquerque Police deputy chief Michael Calloway, former Los Alamos police commander Randy Foster and Cres Archuleta of the state Children Youth and Families Department. The deadline for applications was Friday.
The committee formed by the mayor will pass on its findings to City Manager Brian Snyder, who has final authority to choose the chief. The new chief will succeed Ray Rael, who retired recently.
A City Hall news release said the city manager’s choice will not be limited to candidates presented for consideration by the screening committee, which will recommend up to five contenders.
Members of the Police Chief Citizen Screening Committee are chair María José Rodríguez Cádiz of Solace Crisis Treatment Center; Miranda Viscoli, of New Mexicans for Gun Safety; Jack Sweeney, representing downtown businesses; Matt Martinez, of the local Police Officer’s Association; Jess Clark, representing the LBGT and youth communities; Joni Brenneisen, representing neighborhood associations; Marcela Dias of the Somos Un Pueblo Unido immigrant-rights group; and David Garcia, a civil rights attorney.
“The citizen screening committee encompasses the concerns of various interest groups in our community and I would like their voice heard in this thoughtful selection process,” Gonzales said in the release.
“The City Manager will make the final decision,” he said. “This selection process is very thorough so that both the city and the candidate can determine if it is a mutual fit.”
Here is the list of applicants:
1. Gregory Allen, Los Angeles, CA;
2. Randall Aragon, La Marque, TX;
3. Cres Archuleta, Santa Fe, NM;
4. Christopher Barry, Bensalem, PA;
5. Joseph Bartorilla, Philadelphia, PA;
6. Donna Beck, Espanola, NM;
7. John Brenna, Jr. Los Lunes, NM;
8. Ray Byford, Santa Fe, NM
9. Michael Calloway, Albuquerque, NM;
10. Jesus Campa, El Paso, TX;
11. Michael Cash, El Cajon, CA;
12. Thomas Cassella, Littlestown, FL;
13. Scott Conner, Roswell, NM;
14. William Cordova, Rio Rancho, NM;
15. Christopher Cotillo, Huntingtown, MD;
16. Scotty Crawford, Hot Springs, SD;
17. Charles Dalton, Santa Fe, NM;
18. Don Daniel, Aurora, IL;
19. Lawrence Eggert, Lockport, NY;
20. John Feeney, Petaluma, CA;
21. Frederick Fletcher, Austin, TX;
22. Randy Foster, White Rock, NM;
23. Arnold Freeman, Gold Canyon, AZ;
24. Eric Garcia, Santa Fe, NM;
25. Craig Goralski, Tomball, TX;
26. David Haynes, Chicago, IL;
27. Philip Holmes, Vaughn, NM;
28. Roman Jimenez, Las Cruces, NM;
29. Ken Koch, Dewey, AZ;
30. Jon Lipsky, Lake Forest, CA;
31. Carlos Maldonado, Albuquerque, NM;
32. Chris Martinez, Albuquerque, NM;
33. Roy Melnick, Los Lunes, NM;
34. Rebecca Owens, Stafford, VA;
35. Donald Pezzuto, Evergreen Park, IL;
36. John Powell, Dothan, AL;
37. Edward Reynolds, Forrest City, AR;
38. Maurice Richards, Chicago, IL;
39. Anthony Robbin, Rio Rancho, NM
40. Victor Rodriguez, Rio Rancho, NM;
41. LJ Roscoe, Monticello, GA;
42. Joseph Silva, Albuquerque, NM;
43. Michael Sisneros, Santa Fe, NM;
44. James Speros, Pitt Meadows, BC;
45. Henry Trujillo, Albuquerque, NM;
46. Jerry Trujillo, Santa Fe, NM;
47. Anthony Williams, Cedar Hill, TX;
48 .Mark Whitman, York, PA, Alfred State College.