Recover password

Complaint details rape allegations against UNM player

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. — University of New Mexico football player Crusoe Gongbay, charged with kidnapping and raping a UNM student earlier this month, was released from jail Tuesday morning after posting bail.

According to a criminal complaint filed in state District Court, Gongbay and two other men assaulted the woman in a car early on the morning of April 13.

Gongbay, 20, who had been projected to be Lobos’ starting running back as a senior this fall, was arrested Monday on charges of criminal sexual penetration and kidnapping. He was being held on $50,000 bond at the Metropolitan Detention Center.

Gongbay on Monday was suspended from the UNM football team.


Continue reading

At 10:42 a.m. Tuesday, Gongbay posted the following on his Twitter feed; “Lol sometimes people just out here to get you when you got a future ahead of you.”

Ryan Ruff, 21, also arrested in connection with the alleged rape, remained in the MDC Tuesday on $100,000 bail.

According to the criminal complaint, the female UNM student and a friend were in a car outside a Northeast Heights residence in which a party was going on. A blue BMW pulled up.

Police said one of the three men who had arrived in the BMW recognized the car in which the female student and her friend were sitting as belonging to a UNM football player. According to the complaint, the female student and her friend got out of the car to explain they were friends of the owner.

At that point, police said, Ruff put his arm around the female student and said, “No, she is coming with us.”

The three men and woman got into the BMW and drove off, police said. While Ruff drove, the unknown male and Gongbay forced her to have sex, ignoring her repeated pleas for them to stop, according to the complaint.

Ruff then dropped Gongbay and the other man off at an undisclosed location, and Ruff drove her to campus and forced her to have sex at gunpoint, she told police. He then let her go.

The woman and her friend later identified Gongbay from a photo array as one of the men involved. The woman identified Ruff from a photo array as the man who dropped her off on campus.


Continue reading

The third man has not been identified. He is described as being about 6 feet tall, weighing between 180 and 200 pounds and dark complexioned with dark hair that was short on the sides and longer on top.

Gongbay, listed on the criminal complaint as standing 6 feet tall and weighing 210 pounds, came to UNM in 2011 from Rockville, Md., as part of then-UNM football coach Mike Locksley’s last recruiting class. He led the Lobos in rushing as a true freshman.

After the 2011 season, Gongbay had planned to transfer to Maryland, where Locksley had been hired as offensive coordinator. But when the Maryland opportunity fell through, Gongbay asked new UNM coach Bob Davie to allow him to return. Davie agreed.

The past two seasons, Gongbay performed well as a backup running back and on special teams. During spring practice, Davie described Gongbay as a team leader.

Ruff, who also is from Maryland, is not enrolled at UNM this semester but has been in the past. A story in the Feb. 27, 2013, issue of the New Mexico Daily Lobo listed him as a sophomore criminology major.

Ruff played football in high school, according to information found online, but has not played at UNM.

In Maryland, Ruff in 2011 was found guilty and placed on unsupervised probation on charges of theft involving less than $100.

Earlier that year, Ruff was arrested on charges of burglary and malicious destruction of property. The case was not prosecuted.

Brad D. Hall, the attorney for the female student, issued the following statement:

“My client is no longer in school, has moved back home, and is receiving therapy. She and her family are concentrating on healing and recovery, one day at a time. She is counting her blessings and thankful to be alive. My client appreciates the work of the UNM police and the support of University officials.

“The media and public are asked to respect her privacy while she concentrates on recovery, and not direct any efforts to contact her.”