ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. — The Albuquerque Police Department and U.S. Marshals Service are continuing to refuse to release even basic information about last week’s fatal shooting by a deputy marshal.
A deputy U.S. marshal shot and killed a man on the 9000 block of Upper Meadow in southwest Albuquerque on Wednesday, according to an APD news release issued last week. The deputy marshal, who was working on a task force with other local law enforcement officers, was trying to serve a federal arrest warrant on the man.
On Monday, six days after the shooting, APD spokeswoman Janet Blair said she didn’t know if the deputy marshal has been interviewed by criminal investigators.
Albuquerque Police and the Marshals Service still won’t answer questions about who the man was, whether he was armed or what charge he was wanted on. Neither has named the deputy marshal involved.
“It’s Marshals Service information and it’s not ours to release. That’s been our position all along,” Blair said.
APD typically releases information on shootings in which its officers have been involved.
Ben Segotta, a spokesman for the Marshals Service in New Mexico, said Monday a Department of Justice policy prevents him from commenting on an ongoing investigation. The Marshals Service is one of many federal agencies that are part of the Department of Justice.
He has been referring questions to investigators. Albuquerque police has the largest contingent of the agencies investigating the shooting.
The Bernalillo County Sheriff’s Office, which investigated a Marshals Service shooting earlier this year, released basic information shortly after the incident and ultimately released the deputy marshal’s name as well.
The family of the man shot and killed has declined to name him or grant interviews.
Blair said she didn’t know if any Albuquerque police officers were working on the task force with the deputy marshal when the man was shot.