The Rio Rancho Arts Commission is proud to bring you a spectacle of unprecedented magnitude, action and splendor!
The schedule includes:
- “Making a Dragon” for kids ages 8 to 11 on Saturday, Aug. 2, from noon to 3 p.m. at the Loma Colorado Main Library, 755 Loma Colorado Blvd. The class is sponsored by the New Mexico Polymer Clay Guild, which is providing the materials and instruction. Space is limited, and pre-registration is required by calling 891-8925 or emailing email@example.com.
- “Madrigal Music” on Monday, Aug. 11, from 6:30 to 7:45 p.m. at the Loma Colorado Main Library. Michelle Bucannen, singer and harpist, will perform.
- “Crown/Hat Making for Renaissance/Medieval Costumes” for all ages from noon to 1 p.m. on Saturday, Aug. 16, at the Loma Colorado Main Library. The class is sponsored by the Rio Rancho Arts Commission, which is providing materials and instruction. Participants are encouraged to bring their own jewels, feathers, and ribbons. Space is limited, and pre-registration is required by calling 891-8925 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
- “Medieval Duels” on Saturday, Aug. 16, at the Loma Colorado library from 1 to 2 p.m. Members from the Shire of Drygestan will perform a demonstration of armor-clad knights battling with swords and shields.
- “Medieval Duels” on Sunday, Aug. 17, from 1 to 2 p.m. at the ninth annual Mayor’s Sunday is Funday event taking place at the Rio Rancho High School field, 301 Loma Colorado Blvd., from noon to 4 p.m. Members from the Shire of Drygestan will perform a demonstration of armor-clad knights battling with swords and shields. At Sunday is Funday you’ll find musical entertainment, activities for kids, vendor booths and inexpensive food items. Parking at the high school will be $2.
Renaissance- and Medieval-themed events and programs are coordinated by the Rio Rancho Arts Commission. To learn more about the Arts Commission, visit ci.rio-rancho.nm.us/artscommission.
The Shire of Drygestan is a chapter of the Society for Creative Anachronism Inc. The society is dedicated to preserving the arts and sciences of the Middle Ages. Learn more at drygestan.org.
Sunday is Funday is sponsored and coordinated by the Rio Rancho Kiwanis Club; Rio Rancho Parks, Recreation and Community Services Department; Rio Rancho Boys and Girls Club; and City of Vision Civitans. Proceeds, after paying event expenses, benefit youth programs in Rio Rancho. For event information, visit rioranchokiwanis.com.
Citizens, this is truly a medieval spectacle worthy of your interest, attendance and participation!
(Joe McDonnell is the District 6 representative on the Rio Rancho Arts Commission.)