Journal readers react to Craig Neal’s new contract
• HUM EXCUSE ME? 950k a year to coach basketball ? This is a ridiculous country we live in.
– Suzana Szterling
• HOW MUCH MONEY has the basketball program made for UNM? Gotta invest where the money is made. Pretty simple concept wise guys.
– Bambino Shmantino
• THIS IS JUST wrong! Pay the professors, Teaching assistants, and provide more assistance to students and research. Let’s take a hard look at our priorities.
– LaWanda Albright
• DON’T GET ME wrong. I wish Neal and the Lobos nothing but success. However, what prompted the pay increase? I’m okay with paying a coach $$ for performance but shouldn’t he have to prove himself first? After all, last years performance was a result of Alford’s efforts. If the Lobos do well this year, then a raise could be taken into consideration. Also, a Professors wage and a coaches wage are apples and oranges.
– Joe Gomez
• THE GOOD OLE “boys club” taking care of their own again and when he gets fired in a few years because he got a lucky 1 year they’ll give him a bonus to leave.
– Sofia Maestas
• LOBOS GIVE NOODLES a raise, just not enough! This guy is the nuts and bolts of the program. In two years he will be worth double what he is now. He made Alford, now it’s great he gets the recognition he deserves!
– Randall Carter
• IT IS A RIDICULOUS amount of money, yes, but the basketball program brings in huge profits for the school and the team had an improved GPA, so both factors in his impact on the school and the students in a positive way. However, this is another case of the rich getting richer and the poor (students) getting poorer (increased tuition). Maybe the next profitable season can go to student grants.
– Lisa Giles
• WE ARE THE POOREST state in the MWC and we have the highest paid coaching salary? Yeah that makes a lot of sense. How about winning ONE NCAA tournament game before giving this guy a pay increase. Coach Fisher at SDSU should be making $10 million per year if this is the case.
– Ron Gonzales
• THE ENTIRE STATE embraces UNM BASKETBALL. This program is very close to becoming a nationally known program and in some circles is there now. Too reach or maintain this level the program needs strong leadership and Coach brings that. NM and UNM hungers for national recognition and UNM BASKETBALL is the only entity that provides this regularly. The investment in Coach Neal will be well worth this contract extension. Good job UNM!
– Roy Shears
• WHY? He hasn’t done anything to earn that yet.
– Jared Vanderpool
• THEY ARE PAYING him for visibility and to keep money flowing from the legislators who seem to think that a winning sports team actually says something about a university.
– Stephanie Padilla
• MAKE IT to the sweet 16 now please.
– Kris Benitez
• LET’S GET to the sweet sixteen first, and then start talking raises like this.
– David Martinez
• YES! Go Lobos!
– Cheryl Sayed Shreve
• Who would ever have thought that teaching students to play with a ball could be so profitable?
– J Kendall Anderson