ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. — The Albuquerque Public Schools board announced today the names of six superintendent semifinalists.
- Almudena Abeyta, deputy superintendent for teaching and learning for Santa Fe Public Schools.
- Michael Cardona, chief school officer for Houston Independent Schools
- Veronica Garcia, executive director of New Mexico Voices for Children and former New Mexico Public Education Department secretary
- Angelica Ramsey, chief academic officer for Santa Clara County (California) Office of Education
- Rolando Trevino, superintendent of schools for Lockhart Independent School District (Texas)
- Luis Valentino, associate superintendent/chief academic officer for San Francisco United School District.
The board voted 6-1 to approve the list. The lone dissenter was Peggy Muller-Aragon.
Muller-Aragon voted against the list because at the beginning of the meeting the board improperly voted to go into closed session, she said.
She had proposed vetting the applicants in open session, and while she still had the “floor,” the board voted to go into closed session, which would make it an improper vote, Muller-Aragon said.
“We don’t have to go into executive session” to discuss the candidates, she said.
Board member Lorenzo Garcia said there was nothing improper about the vote.
Muller-Aragon was making “inflammatory” remarks to board members and he “called the vote,” and that’s when the board voted, he said.
Garcia said he didn’t like some remarks Muller-Aragon made about board members but said he wants to build a good relationship with the new board member.
In total there were 59 applicants, 18 of them from New Mexico. The initial deadline for job was March 2. Earlier this month the board, however, decided to extended its superintendent search timeline and reopened the position for more applicants. The second deadline was Tuesday.
Fifteen applicants applied in the second wave, two of them from New Mexico, including, Stan Rounds, superintendent Las Cruces Public Schools, and James Lujan, assistant superintendent of Santa Fe Public Schools.
Second wave of APS superintendent candidates:
- Tony Apostle: Interim Superintendent, Kent School District, Kent, Washington
- Robert Bravo: Area Superintendent, Los Angeles Unified School District, ESC South, Los Angeles, California
- Sandra Brower: Superintendent of Schools, Lacey Township Board of Education, Lanoka Harbor, New Jersey
- Jason Conway: Superintendent, Lake Forest School District, Felton, Delaware
- Paul Eichelkraut: Director, Milwaukee Public Schools Initiative, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
- Peter Licata: Director, School Director of Palm Beach County, W. Palm Beach, Florida
- James Lujan: Assistant Superintendent, Santa Fe Public Schools, Santa Fe, New Mexico
- Pedro Martinez: Superintendent in Residence, Nevada Department of Education
- Scott Muri: Deputy Superintendent of Academics, Fulton County Schools, Atlanta, Georgia
- Angelica Ramsey: Chief Academic Officer, Santa Clara County Office of Education (California)
- Norman Ridder: Superintendent of Schools, Mehlville School District, St. Louis, Missouri
- Augustine Romero: Principal, Pueblo Magnet High School, Tucson Unified School District
- Stan Rounds: Superintendent, Las Cruces Public Schools, Las Cruces, New Mexico
- Rolando Trevino: Superintendent of Schools, Lockhard Independent School District (Texas)
- Tom Woznicki: Superintendent, School District of Boscobel Area (Wisconsin)
First wave of APS superintendent candidates:
- Alumdena Abeyta: Deputy Superintendent for Teaching and Learning Santa Fe Public Schools
- Hipolito Aguilar: Deputy Secretary of Public Education, New Mexico Public Education Department
- Mary Arneson: National Consultant Danielson Group (Charlotte Danielson)
- Ray Arsenault: Superintendent Gallup McKinley County Public Schools
- David Atencio: Superintendent Laguna Department of Education
- Michael Bachicha: Principal LBJ Middle School
- John Barge: State School Superintendent, Georgia Department of Education
- Sheldon Berman: Superintendent, Eugene 4J School District, Eugene, Ore.
- Michelle Boudreau: Special Education Case Manager, Caledonia North Supervisory Union, Lyndonville, Vt.
- James Busey: Superintendent of Schools, Richland School District, Richland, Wash.
- Michael Cardona: Chief School Officer, Houston Independent School District, Houston, Texas
- Barbara Casey: Associate Superintendent, Las Vegas (N.M.) City School District
- Bernard Chandler: Superintendent, Tunica County School District, Tunica, Miss.
- Lewis Collins: Educational Consultant, (Former) Superintendent Regional School Unit #13, Rockland, Maine
- John Covington: Chancellor, The Education Achievement Authority of Michigan
- Adan Delgado: Superintendent, Pojoaque Valley School District
- Antonio Esquibel: Executive Director West Denver Network Schools, Denver Public Schools, Denver, Colo.
- John Ewald: Superintendent of Schools, Laurel School District, Laurel, Del.
- Maria Figueroa: Director of Student Equity For Mexican American Student Services, Tucson Unified School District, Tucson, Ariz.
- Michael Fleming: Commandant Detachment 1,342nd Training Squadron, Kirtland Air Force Base
- Diego Gallegos: (Retired) Assistant Superintendent for School and Community Support Albuquerque Public Schools
- Veronica Garcia: Executive Director New Mexico Voices for Children
- Roberto “Bobby” Gonzales: Retired Superintendent Taos Schools
- Martin Griffin: Chief Academic Officer/Assistant Superintendent, Palos Verdes Peninsula Unified School District, Palos Verdes Estates, Calif.
- Sheila Guidry: Executive Management Officer Louisiana Department of Education
- Scott Hagerman: Director of Exceptional Education, Tucson Unified Schools, Tucson, Ariz.
- Kirk Hartom: Superintendent Cuba Independent Schools
- Dewey Hensley: Chief Academic Officer, Jefferson County Public Schools, Kentucky
- Perry Kissam: Chief of Security and Counterintelligence Field Office Defense Threat Reduction Agency Kirtland Air Force Base
- Gwyndolyn McClellan: Value-Based Management Inc., Sarasota, Fla.
- James Mitchem: Superintendent of Schools, Valley View Unit School District 365U (VVSD) Romeoville, Ill.
- Anthony Monfiletto: Director New Mexico Center for School Leadership
- Genelle Morris: Assistant Superintendent of Shared Accountability, Buffalo Public Schools, Buffalo, N.Y.
- Efrain Olivo: Director of Secondary Schools, Round Rock Independent School District, Texas
- George Otero: Director Center for RelationaLearning, Santa Fe
- Carlos Perez: Assistant to the Superintendent for Admin and HR Roslyn Public Schools, New York
- Jeffrey Peterson: Superintendent, Smith Vocational and Agricultural School District, Massachusetts.
- Orlando Ramos: Associate Superintendent East Baton Rouge Parish School System, Baton Rouge, La.
- Todd Resch: Associate Superintendent for High School Education, Albuquerque Public Schools
- Manuel Rodriguez: Superintendent, Trinidad School District, Trinidad, Colo.
- Denise Saddler: Assistant Superintendent of Education Services, Berryessa Union School District, California
- Arthur Stellar: Superintendent Burke County Schools Morganton, N.C.
- Joel Thornton: Chief of Staff, Georgia Department of Education
- Luis Valentino: Associate Superintendent/Chief Academic Officer, San Francisco Unified School District, San Francisco, Calif.