The booking sheets and photos had been released by the county routinely for years, until it decided to change its policy this spring.
News organizations and others objected to the change and were prepared to file a lawsuit, arguing that refusal to release the records wasn’t justified under state law. They said the county made the right call Wednesday.
“These are records of alleged criminal activity in our community, and nothing in New Mexico law prevents their release,” said Gregory Williams, board president of the New Mexico Foundation for Open Government.
Support your local Albuquerque Journal & Dan McKay SUBSCRIBE NOW cancel anytime