Recover password

Ex-APS deputy superintendent arrested in Denver

MARTINEZ: Booked into Denver jail

MARTINEZ: Booked into Denver jail

Copyright © 2015 Albuquerque Journal

An FBI-led task force that targets bank robbers and fugitives arrested former Albuquerque Public Schools Deputy Superintendent Jason Martinez on Wednesday at a relative’s house in Denver.

The arrest came just days after Colorado authorities said they discovered he had violated terms of his pretrial release on criminal charges by moving to New Mexico without permission.

Advertisement

Continue reading

Martinez was expected to stay overnight at the downtown Denver jail, where he was booked on a no-bond hold Wednesday until a hearing can be held this morning in Denver District Court.

After a judge signed an arrest warrant late Monday, the District Attorney’s Office in Denver had been trying to work with Martinez’s lawyer to get the 50-year-old Martinez to turn himself in.

He was found and arrested without incident about 10:30 a.m. by the Denver-metropolitan area Rocky Mountain Safe Streets Task Force, said Lynn Kimbrough of the Denver DA’s Office. She had no further details and didn’t know whether Martinez was aware of the outstanding warrant.

The Rocky Mountain Safe Streets Task Force pools the expertise and resources of seven federal, state and local law enforcement agencies, targeting bank robbers, fugitives and other violent offenders, according to an FBI website.

Kimbrough wouldn’t say how much bail her office will ask the judge to set for Martinez today. Previously, bail in his two criminal cases totaled $50,000 each.

“We are in the pretrial posture in just a matter of weeks,” Kimbrough said, referring to Martinez’s Oct. 9 jury trial in Denver on four counts of sexual child abuse involving two family members.

At that time, a trial date will be set on the more recent criminal assault charges involving an alleged attack on two men in January, one of whom was described in court records as Martinez’s boyfriend.

Kimbrough also didn’t know how long the task force had been looking for Martinez, who resigned a week ago today after less than two months as the second-in-charge of the Albuquerque Public Schools district.

Martinez was handpicked by new Superintendent Luis Valentino for the APS job but had resisted completing a required background check. Both men just four years ago were participants in a yearlong superintendents leadership academy sponsored by the National Association of Latino Administrators and Superintendents. The program was designed to prepare “the next generation of school system leaders.”

Martinez was described as a “fifth generation Denver native and a Denver Public Schools graduate” in a 2006 Denver Public Schools newsletter. He served as a principal and administrator for a decade in the Denver schools system, leaving a more recent job with a book publishing firm to take the $160,000-a-year APS job.

County property records in Denver show Martinez listed as a “single man.” The 2006 newsletter mentioned he had a grandson who would be entering kindergarten in Denver that year.

TOP |