SANTA FE, N.M. — It took years — in several cases decades — but the remains of 10 American veterans are unclaimed no longer.
Gov. Susana Martinez and other top-ranking state officials honored the memory of the veterans, who came from different parts of the country, with a solemn ceremony Tuesday at the Santa Fe National Cemetery.
The veterans’ remains had gone unclaimed after their deaths — dating back to 1975 in at least two cases — and had been held by a local funeral home until a national group intervened and helped coordinate the memorial service.
Martinez read the names and ranks of the 10 armed service veterans aloud. “Today, they receive the honor they deserve,” said the governor, who was joined at the service by her husband, Chuck Franco.
The veterans’ names will be listed on a memorial wall, Santa Fe National Cemetery Director Cliff Shields said.
The burial is part of a national effort by the Missing in America Project, which has identified and helped to inter the remains of more than 1,500 veterans.