Recover password

Robbery suspect killed by SFPD Wednesday night, State Police say

SANTA FE, N.M. — Tim Quigg of Billings, Mont., checked into the Motel 6 at 3007 Cerrillos Road Wednesday night, after arriving in Santa Fe to visit his daughter and grandchildren.

Within about two hours, he was in the middle of a shootout between Santa Fe police officers and an armed robbery suspect. Quigg was unhurt, but the robbery suspect was shot and killed.


Tim Quigg, from Billings Montana, was a witness to Santa Fe Police officers shooting a suspect at the Motel 6 on Cerrillos Road in Santa Fe Wednesday evening. State Poilce are investigating the shooting Thursday January 28. 2016. (Eddie Moore/Albuquerque Journal)

“I’m blessed,” he said at the motel Thursday morning. “Something was watching over me.

The State Police confirmed this morning that a robbery suspect died after Santa Fe police found the suspect at the Motel 6 “and shots were fired.”


Continue reading

The shooting happened about 8:46 p.m. It stemmed from an incident that started at a Walmart store and ended at the Motel 6, said Greg Gurule, a spokesman for the police department, late Wednesday night.

State police investigate an officer involved shooting by SFPD at the Motel 6 on Cerrillos Road in Santa Fe. (Eddie Moore / Albuquerque Journal)

State police investigate an officer involved shooting by SFPD at the Motel 6 on Cerrillos Road in Santa Fe. (Eddie Moore / Albuquerque Journal)

Gurule said an officer who fired a weapon was fine, and a State Police news release this morning said no officers were injured. Gurule said one officer is on paid administrative leave for three to 10 days and will receive a standard psychological exam upon return.

The suspect was pronounced dead at Christus St. Vincent Regional Medical Center, the State Police said.

Quigg, 47, said that when two police officers showed up, he was outside smoking a cigarette and talking to man from the next-door room who he’d seen earlier in the evening riding a motorized dirt bike with no light or license plate. “I didn’t realize he’d just robbed the Walmart.” Quigg said.

Quigg said the officers called the man by first and last name – he couldn’t remember the names today – and the man he’d been talking to fired a shot behind Quigg’s head and at the officers. “That put me in the middle of it,” Quigg said.

The officers fired three shots back and the suspect ran off around a corner of the building. The officers fired four more shots, the last one much louder than the rest, and that was the end of the shooting, said Quigg. He said he was interviewed later by police for three hours.

Quigg said he held up his hands and said, “Don’t shoot me! Don’t shoot me!” when the shooting started.

“It scared the bejeezus out of ┬áme,” he said.

“I’m just glad he (the suspect) didn’t take me hostage and the police didn’t shoot me… Something made them think,” Quigg added.

The State Police, which has taken over the investigation, has not released the names of those involved and said that after an investigation is complete, the case will be referred to the District Attorney’s Office.

Quigg said that before the shooting started, he was asking the man with the dirt bike about jobs and who might be hiring in Santa Fe. “I wouldn’t believe somthing like this would happen in a small community like this,” he said.