Recover password

Updated: Torres-Judah fight canceled

 

Sometimes, what’s supposed to happen in Vegas simply doesn’t.

Albuquerque boxer Josh Torres’ scheduled fight tonight against five-time world champion Zab Judah, to have been staged at the Downtown Las Vegas Event Center and televised nationally on CBS Sports Network, has been canceled.

Bob Bennett, executive director of the Nevada Athletic Commission, told the Las Vegas Review-Journal that Judah and promoter Roy Englebrecht had misrepresented information on Judah’s license application — stating there were no current financial liens against him when, in fact, he owes child support.

Judah and Englebrecht face a disciplinary hearing before the NAC on March 23.

On his Facebook page, Torres (15-4-2, seven KOs) posted the following:

“Hey everyone, I’m sorry to announce that the fight has been canceled. We don’t know all the details but it’s off. I worked so hard for this and am truly disappointed that I will not be able to show the world what New Mexico is made of. … ”

The fight was a sellout at the 15,000-seat outdoor venue, and many of Torres’ friends and family members were in Las Vegas or en route when word came of the cancellation.

CBS Sports Network will fill the hole in its Saturday night schedule with a rerun of a Feb. 19 boxing card promoted by Greg Cohen, whom Judah (42-9, 27 KOs) recently left in order to work with Englebrecht. Judah, in fact, originally was scheduled to fight on that card.

Englebrecht is a veteran promoter of solid reputation. Most of his promotions have been staged in California.

PPV BONANZA: UFC President Dana White announced Thursday that UFC 196, staged last Saturday at the MGM Grand Garden in Las Vegas, has shattered all UFC records for pay-per-view revenues.

“Saturday night was amazing for us,” White said on ESPN’s “Max and Marcellus” radio show.

The main event that night was a welterweight fight between Nate Diaz and UFC featherweight champion Conor McGregor, who agreed to fight Diaz at 25 pounds above the featherweight limit. Diaz defeated McGregor by second-round submission.

The co-main was Albuquerquean Holly Holm’s women’s bantamweight title defense against Miesha Tate. Tate upset Holm, winning by fifth-round submission.

Earlier this week, White harshly criticized Albuquerque’s Lenny Fresquez, Holm’s agent, for pitting Holm against Tate instead of waiting for a more lucrative rematch with Ronda Rousey.

Holm earned $500,000 for the Tate fight and, above and beyond, likely will receive a slice of those record pay-per-view dollars her presence on the card helped to produce.

CHAMP’S IN TOWN: Poland’s Joanna Jedrzejczyk, the UFC strawweight (115-pound) champion, is in Albuquerque this week training at Jackson-Wink MMA.

“She’s just checking it out,” Jackson-Wink spokesman Michael Lyubimov told the Journal via text.

With Rousey having lost to Holm and Holm having lost to Tate, Jedrzejczyk (11-0) generally is considered the world’s No. 1 female MMA fighter. In November, she defeated Valerie Letourneau as the co-main event beneath the Holm-Rousey fight on UFC 193 in Australia.

Jedrzejczyk is scheduled for a rematch against Brazil’s Claudia Gadelha on July 8 in Las Vegas. She defeated Gadelha by split decision in December 2014.

AlertMe

Suggested on ABQjournal

Advertisement

TOP |