Delivery alert

There may be an issue with the delivery of your newspaper. This alert will expire at NaN. Click here for more info.

Recover password

Jon ‘Bones’ Jones gets deferred sentence


MMA fighter Jon “Bones” Jones, left , and his attorney Vincent Ward appear in Metro Court Wednesday, where he entered a no contest plea. (Adolphe Pierre-Louis/Journal)

MMA fighter Jon "Bones" Jones, seen training in this file photo, received a deferred sentence Wednesday. (Journal file)

MMA fighter Jon “Bones” Jones, seen training in this file photo, received a deferred sentence Wednesday. (Journal file)

There were four cameras in Metropolitan Court Judge Courtney Weaks’ courtroom Wednesday morning, and an inquiry from media scandal site TMZ, for an Albuquerque resident’s no-contest plea to minor traffic violations.

The reason for the turnout was an out-of-the-cage appearance by the mixed martial arts star Jon “Bones” Jones, who was stopped by a sheriff’s deputy Jan. 31 and cited for not having his driver’s license, car registration and proof of insurance with him at the time.

And just like anyone else who shows up with proof that he indeed possessed them, he received a 90-day deferral after entering a no-contest plea, after which the citations will be dismissed and won’t be on his record.

The deputy told Weaks that the parties had reached an agreement. Jones’ attorney, Vince Ward, told the court documentation had been provided and asked that Jones’ address not be included in the public record, saying its appearance on public websites had led to his client being harassed in the past.

Jones also agreed to make a $100 donation to the New Mexico Animal Humane Society as a show of goodwill.

With a warning from the court to be careful in the future and a bit more paperwork, Jones’ five-minute court appearance was over.

Jones will make his MMA comeback and attempt to regain his light heavyweight title  April 23 at UFC 197 against Daniel Cormier at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, Nev.

Jones, who fights out of Jackson-Wink MMA, was stripped of his title following his arrest after an April 26, 2015, hit-and-run case. In that accident, he ran a red light and crashed into a vehicle. Its driver suffered a broken arm in the collision.

UFC suspended him and stripped him of his title shortly thereafter. Last September, Jones pled guilty to leaving the scene of the accident. He received probation and has been in the area making 72 appearances talking to kids about the error of his ways.

He was reinstated by the UFC in October.

Then, Jones was driving 75 mph in a 35 mph zone when he was pulled over Jan. 31 near the intersection of Louisiana and Alameda, according to an audio recording of the stop released by TMZ. It is not known how TMZ obtained the recording.

The Bernalillo County Sheriff’s Deputy heard in the recording didn’t cite Jones for speeding, however, and told him, “You’re getting a huge break, dude.”

Sheriff’s Department records stated Jones, driving a white Corvette, told the deputy he was driving to Jackson-Wink for practice, that he had lost his driver’s license and that he had been carrying his passport instead — but at the time he was stopped did not have the passport.

The Journal’s Rick Wright contributed to this report.