NAME: Ryan N. Boyle
POLITICAL PARTY: Republican
RELEVANT EXPERIENCE: District resident for 12 years, conservative activist, campaign experience, teaching experience.
EDUCATION: Should graduate from UNM with a degree in education in May 2016.
CAMPAIGN WEBSITE: www.boyle4nm.com
1. I would favor trimming state spending. It has to begin with making sure funds are going to where they are said to be going, and then cutting wasteful spending from there.
2. I am opposed to raising New Mexico’s minimum wage. Small businesses cannot afford it or they’ll go out of business.
3. A small portion of teacher evaluation has to be student achievement measured in multiple ways.
4. I am personally opposed to legalizing recreational marijuana, but there are more harmful drugs we as a state should be focusing on.
5. I support legislation that would automatically require some third-graders who are the lowest in reading skills to repeat the grade level, while others would be required to have supplemental reading practice.
6. Cutting wasteful spending and making sure the funds and resources are actually going to the state’s students will make sure there is enough funding for quality education.
7. I oppose the creation of a state ethics commission. There is too much of a possibility it will be misused and become biased.
8. I support making New Mexico a right-to-work state.
9. I support banning abortions after 20 weeks in New Mexico as a first step to banning it completely.
10. I support hunting coyotes for the purpose of protecting ranches and livestock. I’m not in favor of a contest, but wouldn’t support legislation that is against it. The use of trapping and poisons on public lands should only be used when necessary.
11. I do not support assisted suicide in any circumstance.
12. Honestly, I have to become more familiar with the specifics of the impact of the existing vehicle excise and gasoline tax revenue for state road projects. In the larger perspective, there are ways to make sure projects can be more affordable but still made with quality and to lower taxes.
13. I’m in favor of being supportive of law enforcement and providing quality pay throughout their career that will give incentive to only collect pension benefits once.
14. I oppose opening the state’s primary elections to voters who aren’t affiliated with either major political party. Members of each of the major political party should be the only ones voting in their respective primary elections.
15. I support expanding the state’s three-strikes law for repeat violent offenders.
16. I oppose enacting a “cooling-off” period before former lawmakers could lobby the Legislature. Citizens need to vote in those who will not be lobbied so easily.
17. I oppose passing a law that would allow local governments to impose curfews on minors under the age of 16.
18. I support archiving webcasts of all legislative meetings for public access.
19. I oppose establishing a salary for legislators.
20. As a future teacher I’m biased, but public employees, including teachers, should not be prohibited by law from serving in the Legislature. We’re citizens affected by government, too.