POLITICAL PARTY: Democratic
RELEVANT EXPERIENCE: State Senate District 17, 1988-2007.
EDUCATION: UNM Juris Doctor, 1974; UNM Bachelor of Arts, 1971, philosophy major, journalism minor.
CAMPAIGN WEBSITE: Twitter: @srobinsondist17
1. The state Constitution requires a balanced budget. It is a painful process to cut spending but sometimes it must be done. Tax increases are also necessary but should be shouldered by the Corporations doing business in New Mexico or the wealthy people who can afford it.
2. I will fight to raise the minimum wage in New Mexico to $15 an hour.
3. I support teacher accountability.
4. The medical marijuana law was a bill I sponsored for a number of years when it wasn’t a popular idea. The bill finally passed under another Senator’s name but it was my Senate Bill that I introduced to legalize marijuana. I’d have to see how the program is set up.
6. Support. New Mexico can no longer remain last in early childhood development. We must do everything to take care of our children.
8. Oppose. I have always supported the union women and men who work so hard for our state.
9. I have always been pro choice.
10. Oppose on both coyote protection and banning trapping and poisons against animals.
11. Oppose. It is against a physician’s oath.
12. Support. Our roads are in bad shape. We can fix our highways without raising more taxes. A lot of people in District 17 are in favor of this measure and so am I.
13. Support. District 17 needs major help with more senior trained police officers. The wrong people are being held in MDC without hearing by Metro Judges illegally. Metro Court jails good citizens for failure to appear on petty misdemeanors, they lose their job and their car.
15. Oppose. It doesn’t work and isn’t necessary if judges do their job.
17. Oppose. Many of our young people have to work to help their families or have activities that are important for their future development.
20. No. Teachers have a lot to bring to the legislative that is valuable input. I’ve never seen a teacher neglect her duties to her school by serving in the Legislature.
1. Yes for State Tax Liens. Yes for Federal Tax Liens.
3. In 1972 I was convicted of first-offense DWI. In 1984 I was arrested for DWI and the charge was dismissed and I was found guilty of careless driving. There are no felony arrests.