NAME: Chris Berkheimer
POLITICAL PARTY: Democratic
RELEVANT EXPERIENCE: Administrative law judge and mediator; state Homeland Security director; private attorney; national security and veterans adviser to former U.S. Rep. Bill Richardson; canvassing for various environmental groups; combat soldier (artillery) in Desert Storm; candidate for state Senate in 2004.
EDUCATION: BA, 1993; JD 2000, both from UNM.
1. Rooting out corruption and waste is the first step in fixing the state’s revenue crisis.
2. Support raising minimum wage to a level both workers and businesses can live with.
3. Our education woes go far beyond the limited issue of including student achievement as part of teacher evaluations. New Mexico needs a systemic change in its education policy.
5. On this narrow issue, yes, if they are given the attention needed to learn how to read. It is unconscionable that New Mexico has the worst literacy rate in the nation. It leads to many social ills, including crime and the lack of good jobs. Good education equals good jobs.
6. This issue needs more study.
7. This is the attorney general’s job. Appointing a board that does not answer to voters creates a situation that allows for abuse of the process, like board members using their position to settle personal or political scores.
10.This issue needs more study.
13. I am opposed to double-dipping.
17. Oppose as unconstitutional.
20. Yes. I believe it is a violation of the Hatch Act.
3. I have been charged with DUI twice. I have not been convicted on either charge. I have been charged with misdemeanor battery. This charge was dismissed. I have been charged with breaking a TRO. I pled to the charge. I am now seeking to have this overturned based on ineffective assistance of counsel and other constitutionally based claims. These charges are all related to my war induced diagnosis of PTSD.