Delivery alert

There may be an issue with the delivery of your newspaper. This alert will expire at NaN. Click here for more info.

Recover password

The Latest: Scott family lawyer proud of Justice Department

CHARLESTON, S.C. — The Latest on a former South Carolina police officer indicted on federal charges in the death of a black motorist. (All times local):

3:10 p.m.

Slain motorist Walter Scott’s family and lawyer say they are thankful the Justice Department has brought charges against the white former police officer charged with gunning Scott down while he ran from a traffic stop last year.

An indictment unsealed Wednesday charges Michael Slager with federal counts and he could get life in prison. He already faces a murder charge in state court.

Scott’s mother Judy Scott told reporters on Wednesday that she thanks God for justice but hopes other mothers don’t have to go through what she experienced.

Family attorney Chris Stewart says he’s proud of the federal government for bringing the charges. He says that while there are good officers, this sends a message to the ones who abuse their authority.

___

2:10 p.m.

A white former South Carolina police officer facing a state murder charge in the shooting death of unarmed black motorist Walter Scott is being allowed to stay out of jail while new federal charges are pending.

A federal judge on Wednesday made that determination at a hearing in Charleston for Michael Slager.

Slager will not have to post additional bond. He entered a not-guilty plea.

Slager was indicted this week on federal charges including depriving Scott of his civil rights. He’s also charged with obstruction of justice and unlawful use of a weapon during the commission of a crime.

Slager faces state murder charges in the April 2015 shooting of Scott after a traffic stop in North Charleston and is scheduled for trial in October. Slager was released on bond in January on those charges and has been on house arrest.

___

11:10 a.m.

An attorney for relatives of a black motorist who was killed by a white North Charleston police officer says the U.S. Justice Department is making history by indicting the former officer in the case.

Attorney Chris Stewart tells the Associated Press it’s amazing that after all the cases over the past 20 years the federal government has decided to indict an officer.

Stewart, who represents the family of Walter Scott, says he thinks the Justice Department deems this a case the government can win, and in the process send a message to police departments nationwide.

An indictment unsealed Wednesday charges 34-year-old Michael Slager with three federal counts, including violating Scott’s civil rights. Slager appears before a federal judge later Wednesday.

The AP left a message seeking comment from Slager’s attorney.

___

10:45 a.m.

A federal judge will decide whether a former South Carolina police officer charged with murder in the shooting death of an unarmed black motorist can remain free on bond.

An indictment unsealed Wednesday shows that 34-year-old Michael Slager is charged with violating Walter Scott’s civil rights and two other federal charges.

Slager faces state murder charges in the April 2015 shooting the 50-year-old Scott after a traffic stop in North Charleston and is scheduled for trial in October. He’s been free on a half million dollars bond and under house arrest since January in the state case.

A federal magistrate issued an arrest warrant for Slager on Tuesday and the order says the issue of bond will be taken up by a federal judge. Slager appears for an initial hearing on the federal charges later Wednesday.

___

10:00 a.m.

A white former South Carolina police officer charged with murder in the shooting death of a fleeing, unarmed black motorist now faces federal civil rights charges.

An indictment unsealed Wednesday shows that Michael Slager is charged with violating Walter Scott’s civil rights. He’s also charged with obstruction of justice and unlawful use of a weapon during the commission of a crime.

Slager faces state murder charges in the April 2015 shooting of Scott after a traffic stop in North Charleston and is scheduled for trial in October. Prosecutors have asked that the trial be held before or after the trial of the man accused of shooting nine people to death at a black church in Charleston last summer.

Last fall, North Charleston approved a $6.5 million civil settlement with Scott’s family.

TOP |