PHOENIX — Eight people were shot in a mobile home park on the outskirts of Phoenix leaving two adults dead, authorities said Tuesday.
The Phoenix Fire Department previously said six people were shot Monday night, but Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio provided the higher number during a Tuesday news conference.
Arpaio said four children were among the six survivors of the shooting, including a 2 year old. The Fire Department previously said the child was 1.
Authorities said all six survivors have non-life threatening injuries. Their names weren’t immediately released.
Sheriff’s officials announced Tuesday afternoon that the two dead people have been identified as Armando Cardona, 45, and Naome Innis, 35.
The shooting occurred around 10:30 p.m. Monday when one or more people walked by and fired at the group of eight standing outside the mobile home park in the Laveen area outside Phoenix’s city limits.
Authorities don’t know the motive or the number of suspects involved. It may have been difficult for neighbors to pick up on the shooting if they confused gunshots with fireworks, according to Arpaio.
“We don’t know the motive. We hope to get that as time progresses,” Arpaio said. “Unfortunately, because of that evening, either fireworks and everything else, we don’t have as of now a witness as to who the assailant is.”
Arpaio said authorities need the public’s help to solve the case and asked for anyone with information to call the sheriff’s non-emergency line.