Delivery alert

There may be an issue with the delivery of your newspaper. This alert will expire at NaN. Click here for more info.

Recover password

Jon Jones, UFC president hint ‘good news’ coming in his failed drug test case

“Bones” may be back sooner than you thought.

The unspecified “good news” that Albuquerque mixed martial artist Jon “Bones” Jones hinted at in a Sunday evening social media video seemed to be confirmed Tuesday by UFC President Dana White.

While being interviewed on the nationally-syndicated Jim Rome radio show on Tuesday, White said, and Rome later posted on his Twitter account, “It’s looking like Jon Jones did not take the drug that everybody thought he took. It looks like it’s something else.”

White added: “If that’s true & that’s what USADA & the Nevada State Athletic Commission say happened, it could look good for Jon Jones.”

Jones, who has lived in Albuquerque for several years and trains at Jackson-Wink MMA, was suspended days before he was supposed to be the headliner at UFC 200 on July 9 in Las Vegas, Nev., when the United States Anti-Doping Agency reported an out-of-competition blood test of Jones from June had revealed traces of Hydroxy-clomiphene and Letrozole, both estrogen blockers often taken following a cycle of steroids.

Jones maintained he never knowingly took any banned substance, but admitted he did take a supplement he had not previously taken during the training camp leading up to what was supposed to be a light heavyweight championship bout with Daniel Cormier.

Jones, who along with his primarily Albuquerque-based coaching staff missed out on the largest pay day of their careers, was also placed on indefinite suspension by the Nevada Athletic Commission while given the chance to appeal. He and his team have been doing so, since.

He faces up to a two-year suspension from fighting. It remains unclear when either USADA or the NAC will address the recent revelations from Jones and White.

On Sunday, Jones posted a video to fans on his Instagram page. Among other things, Jones said he has good news to reveal soon about the USADA case.

“I’m sure you guys are curious with what’s going on with this USADA situation,” he said. “Obviously I can’t get into it because it’s still pending. But what I can say is we have found out lots of really good news and I am expecting to be back in the Octagon really soon.”

A video posted by Jon Bones Jones (@jonnybones) on

He also said he has been training and spending time with family while also “attacking some of these legal issues that I’ve gotten myself into — trying to really just leave that all behind once and for all.”

Last week Jones received a suspended 90 day sentence in Metro Court related to his being pulled over in March and issued five citations, including for allegedly drag racing, and was seen in a lapel camera video having a heated argument with Albuquerque Police Office Jason Brown, who pulled him over, accusing the officer of profiling and harassing him.

In court, Jones pleaded guilty to having an unlawfully modified exhaust system on his car and for his registration sticker not properly being displayed on his license plate. Other citations Brown issued Jones were dismissed as part of a plea agreement that calls for the fighter to complete an aggressive driving course, do 60 hours of community service and pay a $143 fine.

Subscribe now! Albuquerque Journal limited-time offer

Albuquerque Journal and its reporters are committed to telling the stories of our community.

• Do you have a question you want someone to try to answer for you? Do you have a bright spot you want to share?
   We want to hear from you. Please email or Contact the writer.