1. Las Cruces (2-0) at Cleveland (2-0): When the Bulldawgs were up here two weeks ago, they scored in all three phases of the game, although their defense labored against Eldorado. Cleveland was equally displeased with its defensive showing against La Cueva two days ago. Both teams will give this game special attention, I would imagine. It’s certainly a possible playoff preview.
2. Rio Rancho (2-0) at Clovis (2-0): The Josh Foley vs. Isaac Vance showdown never materialized when the Rams visited the FOD to play Mayfield in Week 1, so maybe we’ll get a Josh Foley vs. Micah Gray (Clovis) showdown in Week 3 at Leon Williams Stadium instead. That’s if the Rams’ Foley (hamstring) is healthy.
3. Eldorado (1-1) at Mayfield (1-1), 1 p.m. Saturday, Field of Dreams: I know it’s only Week 3, but this looms as a vital game for both these teams. The Trojans probably aren’t eager to get pasted by another northern school after Rio Rancho smoked them in Week 1. And the Eagles, no doubt, would love to get this one, especially against a southern power, after blowing that big lead to Las Cruces on Aug. 26.
4. Centennial (2-0) at La Cueva (1-1), 1 p.m. Saturday, Wilson Stadium: The Hawks will encounter far more resistance than they did the first time they were here, two weeks ago against Albuquerque High. Centennial returns a bunch on offense, and Hawks coach Aaron Ocampo will see La Cueva’s new look for the first time up close.
5. Cibola (0-2) at Manzano (1-1), Wilson Stadium: One of those many swing games I’ve written about in recent weeks that merits a look-see, especially if both of these schools end up in a similar placement in their respective districts. Cougars need a win, badly. But this may not be the spot.