Delivery alert

There may be an issue with the delivery of your newspaper. This alert will expire at NaN. Click here for more info.

Recover password

Threatening email leads to evacuation of middle school

Students who were evacuated from Eisenhower Middle School Monday due to a bomb threat leave with their parents. (Robert Browman/Journal)

Students who were evacuated from Eisenhower Middle School on Monday due to a bomb threat leave with their parents. (Robert Browman/Journal)

 

A threatening email sent to Eisenhower Middle School’s principal and numerous law enforcement agencies early Monday morning led them to evacuate the school and cancel classes for the day, according to Albuquerque police.

K9 officers enter Eisenhower Middle School after a bomb scare Monday morning. (Roberto E. Rosales/Journal)

K9 officers enter Eisenhower Middle School after a bomb scare Monday morning. (Roberto E. Rosales/Journal)

Spokesman Tanner Tixier said federal and local authorities received the email, which said that there may be an explosive device or an active shooter at the school, around 7 a.m.

Police announced later Monday afternoon that the school had been cleared and nothing suspicious was found.

An officer at the scene of a bomb scare at Eisenhower Middle School directs parents to where they can pick up their children Monday morning. (Robert Browman/Journal)

An officer at the scene of a bomb scare at Eisenhower Middle School directs parents to where they can pick up their children Monday morning. (Robert Browman/Journal)

The email came at a time when law enforcement has been on high alert because of an explosion in New York City on Saturday night and a stabbing attack in Minnesota for which the Islamic State group claimed responsibility.

An officer and a police K9 prepare to search Eisenhower Middle School after the school was evacuated due to a threatening email Monday morning. (Roberto E. Rosales/Journal)

An officer and a police K9 prepare to search Eisenhower Middle School after the school was evacuated due to a threatening email Monday morning. (Roberto E. Rosales/Journal)

“As we started analyzing the email, we determined the best course of action, especially with what’s been happening in Minnesota and New York, was to go ahead and evacuate the school,” Tixier said.

As kids arrived at Eisenhower, they were kept in a field outside and full evacuations began around 7:40 a.m., Tixier said.

Eisenhower Middle School was evacuated and classes were canceled Monday after a bomb threat. (Roberto E. Rosales/Journal)

Eisenhower Middle School was evacuated and classes were canceled Monday after a bomb threat. (Roberto E. Rosales/Journal)

Tixier said it’s possible the email came from a child, but police are still investigating.

“It reads as though it came from a student, but we don’t know,” he said. “It came from an anonymous email address through a third-party server.”

Albuquerque Public Schools officials announced that classes were canceled around 8:30 a.m. Parents picked up their children at Bartonwood and Juan Tabo.

Officers with rifles stood guard in front of the school and directed parents to their children as bomb squad members and police K9 units entered the school.

Juan Tabo was closed in both directions in front of the school during the evacuations and remained closed as authorities investigated.

“We’re going to do a complete and systematic search of the school, make sure that there’s no devices,” Tixier said outside the scene Monday.

He said there were no reported threats to other schools. He said he didn’t know if the incident has any connection to a bomb scare at Highland High School last week.

Eisenhower was cleared by 10:30 a.m. and Tixier said APS police had taken over the investigation.

AlertMe

Advertisement

Suggested on ABQjournal

TOP |