Ex-Boy Scout sues BSA, says Scoutmaster molested him - Albuquerque Journal

Ex-Boy Scout sues BSA, says Scoutmaster molested him

A former Boy Scout now in his late 40s says he was sexually abused by his Scoutmaster at a camp near Cloudcroft in the 1980s, according to a lawsuit filed this month in state District Court.

The personal injury suit alleges that Mike Kessler, who is now deceased, operated a troop in Abilene, Texas. The suit alleges that the Scoutmaster “gained the trust and confidence” of the boy, and even “became a father figure” to him.

The lawsuit says the man sexually abused and molested the Scout “for several years” and also says he attempted “intercourse” during a 1982 trip to Camp Dale Resler in southern New Mexico.

Levi Monagle, the attorney representing the former Scout, said the abuse continued in Abilene.

Boy Scouts of America said in a statement that it could not discuss ongoing litigation, but that the allegations contained in the suit run counter to everything for which the organization stands.

“Nothing is more important than the safety of our youth members and we are profoundly saddened when anyone uses their position to harm children,” the statement explains. “The Boy Scouts of America extends its deepest sympathies to any person who has been hurt by child sexual abuse.”

The lawsuit argues that the organization should have instructed the scoutmaster not to sleep in tents with unrelated boys, which “put scouts like plaintiff at unreasonable risk of being sexually abused.”

It says that BSA knew at the time that leadership positions “were being used by predatory child molesters to victimize children” and “knew or had reason to know” that the Scoutmaster had abused Scouts.

“It’s a very big organization, there were a lot of abusive Scout leaders,” Monagle said. “This guy was one of them.”

In its statement, BSA wrote that in the decades since “the incidents took place,” the organization has enhanced efforts to protect children. BSA said “any instance of child victimization or abuse is intolerable and unacceptable.”

“When we were first made aware of these reports last year,” the statement explains, “we promptly reported the allegations to the local authorities as indicated in our youth protection program and offered assistance to the individual.”

The man, who is referred to as John Doe throughout the lawsuit, is seeking compensatory and punitive damages. He argues that he suffered severe emotional distress and has incurred costs for counseling and psychiatric medical treatment.

“Abuse of this sort at this adolescent stage is devastating for any child,” Monagle said. “They carry it with them for their whole lives.”

Home » News » Albuquerque News » Ex-Boy Scout sues BSA, says Scoutmaster molested him


Albuquerque Journal and its reporters are committed to telling the stories of our community.

• Do you have a question you want someone to try to answer for you? Do you have a bright spot you want to share?
   We want to hear from you. Please email yourstory@abqjournal.com

taboola desktop

1
Ian lashes South Carolina as Florida's death toll climbs
ABQnews Seeker
A revived Hurricane Ian pounded coastal ... A revived Hurricane Ian pounded coastal South Carolina on Friday, ripping apart piers and flooding streets after the ferocious storm caused catastrophic damage in ...
2
Man found guilty in 2019 shooting death
ABQnews Seeker
Police: Argument outside woman's house led ... Police: Argument outside woman's house led to fight
3
Federal judge bars IDing defendant as SNM gang member
ABQnews Seeker
Man convicted on firearms charges Man convicted on firearms charges
4
Prep football: Cibola stays unbeaten, tops Atrisco Heritage
ABQnews Seeker
For the first time in a ... For the first time in a month, no comeback was required for the Cibola Cougars. Cibola has been living on the edge in recent ...
5
Lawsuit filed after in-custody death in McKinley County
ABQnews Seeker
Suit denounces incident as a ‘violent ... Suit denounces incident as a ‘violent and abhorrent killing’
6
Visitor center now completed, but not yet unlocked
ABQnews Seeker
Route 66 Visitor Center is ribbon-cut ... Route 66 Visitor Center is ribbon-cut ready, but won't open until 2023
7
Two MDC officers testify in their trial over inmate's ...
ABQnews Seeker
Each is charged with involuntary manslaughter, ... Each is charged with involuntary manslaughter, faces 1-2 years in prison
8
Lujan Grisham rescinds six pandemic-related executive orders
ABQnews Seeker
Move is part of a periodic ... Move is part of a periodic review of COVID-19 mitigation measures
9
Albuquerque Aloft continues to thrill students
ABQnews Seeker
Some 179 balloons were inflated at ... Some 179 balloons were inflated at about 116 schools in and around the city