ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. — Events will be at UNM, National Hispanic Cultural Center, Expo New Mexico and other locations around the city beginning next week
Albuquerque next week will begin celebrating National Hispanic Heritage Month with events around the city.
Mayor Richard Berry honored the community’s Hispanic influence during a news conference Wednesday.
“We celebrate Hispanic heritage every day in Albuquerque,” he said. “Hispanic heritage in Albuquerque makes us the tremendous city that we are.”
Berry made his remarks in Albuquerque’s Old Town Plaza, among mariachis and Hispanic leaders.
“We open a window for one month in order to commemorate the importance of Hispanic Heritage,” said Estevan Rael-Gálvez, executive director of the National Hispanic Cultural Center. “As this window opens today, we invite everyone to look more closely at what they see, listen more closely to what they hear and feel the strength of who we are as a people.”
Events will be at the University of New Mexico, the National Hispanic Cultural Center, Expo New Mexico and many other locations around the city.
A final schedule will be posted online at www.hispanicheritage.masnewmexico.com in the next couple of days.
Hispanic Heritage Month
- Noon Wednesday, Sept. 15 — Salsa demonstration and lessons, UNM Student Union Building atrium. Free. For information, 277-1723.
- 2 p.m. Sept. 19 — Charreada (Mexican rodeo), Tingley Coliseum at Expo New Mexico, 300 San Pedro NE. Tickets are $15, $24 and $34. For information, 222-9700.
- 11:30 a.m. Sept. 28 — Albuquerque Hispano Chamber of Commerce Hispanic Heritage Luncheon, Hyatt Regency, 330 Tijeras SW. Tickets, $30 per person or $300 for a table for 10. For information, 842-9003.
- Oct. 1-3 — Production of La Casa de Bernarda Alba, a play by Federico Garcia Lorca, at the National Hispanic Cultural Center, 1701 Fourth SW. Tickets are $15, $20 and $25. For information, call 246-2261.
- 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Oct. 9-10 — Hispanic Art Expo, Hard Rock Hotel & Casino, 11000 Broadway SE. Free. For information, 730-1950.
- Noon to 6 p.m., Oct. 10 — National Hispanic Cultural Center, 10th anniversary parade and public opening of the Torreon, 1701 Fourth SW. Parade starts at noon on Central and Fourth SW and ends at the Cultural Center. For information, call 246-2261.
- 6 p.m. Oct. 15 — De Colores Leadership Banquet, Hard Rock Hotel & Casino, 11000 Broadway SE. Tickets are $75 per person or $750 for table of 10. For information, 730-1950.