Delivery alert

There may be an issue with the delivery of your newspaper. This alert will expire at NaN. Click here for more info.

Recover password

Man Shot by ABQ Police Officer in Stable Condition

APD releases names of the man and the officer

The man wounded in a police-involved shooting Tuesday morning in Downtown Albuquerque was in stable condition Tuesday afternoon at University of New Mexico Hospital, according to the Albuquerque Police Department.

The department identified the man as Chandler Todd Barr, 19.

The officer involved was identified as Leah Kelly, a four-year member of APD.



Tuesday, 14 September 2010 12:35


A man who was shot twice by an Albuquerque police officer Tuesday morning after refusing to drop a knife was in critical condition at midday at University of New Mexico Hospital and police were continuing their investigation of the shooting incident, according to a news release from Police Chief Ray Schultz.

The news release said the man, whose name has not been released, was about 19 years old and according to preliminary information was homeless and possibly from Oklahoma.

The incident began unfolding shortly after 8 a.m. when officers were called to the Greyhound bus station in the Downtown area on a report that a man had cut his wrists and was bleeding. Witnesses at the bus station said the man was seen heading northbound from the station, according to the news release from Schultz.

Schultz said two female bike officers arrived within three minutes and located the man at 2nd and Central.

One of the officers fired two shots that hit the man in chest after he refused to drop a knife and advanced on the officers in an aggressive manner, according to the chief.

The officers have been placed on standard three-day administrative leave.

Schultz said in the news release that the investigation has determined that the man may have been recently released from the UNM’s Mental Health Unit.

The man, according to the chief, had gone to the bus station with a ticket to go out of state but became upset and left when told there would be an additional fee. He returned to the station carrying a knife and bleeding from both wrists.

Watch the video here.





Tuesday, 14 September 2010 09:55


The 19-year-old Native American male who was shot this morning by an Albuquerque police officer remains in critical condition at the University of New Mexico Hospital after being shot twice in the chest, KRQE News 13 is reporting.

The incident, which occurred near 2nd and Central in Downtown Albuquerque around 8:15 a.m., when two female bicycle officers noticed the man was holding a knife and appeared to be bleeding around his wrists.

The man refused to drop the knife and was approaching the officers, when one of the officers shot him, APD Chief Ray Schultz told reporters.



A 19-year-old male who was recently released from University of New Mexico Hospital’s mental health facility was shot by police around 8:15 a.m. today near 2nd and Central after he refused to put down the knife he was carrying, Albuquerque Police Chief Ray Schultz told reporters at an impromptu news conference moments ago.

The victim, whose name has not been released, was shot once in the chest and was listed in critical condition at UNM Hospital, the chief said.

Two officers, who patrol Downtown Albuquerque on bicycles, were at the scene, and one officer — whose name has not been released — did the shooting, Schultz told reporters.

The officers were “very upset” after the shooting, said Schultz, who said the victim was “obviously in some type of mental health crisis.”


9:35am UPDATE: The shooting near 2nd and Central in Downtown Albuquerque took place around 8:15 this morning, police told 770 KKOB Radio.


The victim has been taken to a local hospital, but his name and condition have not been released, KKOB said.


Breaking at 8:54am —  Officer-Involved Shooting in Downtown ABQ: Central closed between 1st and 3rd, 2nd Street shut between Gold and Copper.

Details are scarce, but there has been an officer-involved shooting near 2nd Street and Copper in Downtown Albuquerque, KOB-TV is reporting.


A shooting victim has been taken to the hospital, according to KOAT-TV.

Albuquerque Police Officer Lorenzo Garcia is telling 770 KKOB Radio that no details will be released until Police Chief Ray Schultz holds a news conference later this morning.

Central Avenue has been shut down between 1st and 3rd streets, and 2nd Street is closed between Gold and Copper, according to Eyewitness News 4.

All bus routes in and out of the Alvarado Transportation have been detoured or delayed, according to city transit officials.