ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. — Tribal officials trying to find new homes for nearly 70 people after Oct. 2 hail storm.
Kewa Pueblo officials are trying to find homes for nearly 70 people after a hail storm punched holes in roofs, broke windows and skylights and flooded homes on Oct. 2, the Albuquerque Journal reported in its northern New Mexico editions.
Gov. Bill Richardson on Sunday issued an executive order declaring a disaster at Kewa Pueblo, formerly known as Santo Domingo, in Sandoval County, freeing up $250,000 for cleanup, repair and rebuilding of public infrastructure, according to a release from the Governor’s Office.
Richardson also authorized the New Mexico National Guard to provide military support to civil authorities as needed, the Journal reported.
Kenny Pin, the pueblo’s planning director, told the Journal that tribal officials have assessed 404 of the pueblo’s roughly 600 homes and found that 95 percent of the 404 homes had sustained some damage.
“Ten percent are unlivable, and 50 percent are considered major damage,” Pin told the paper.
Pin said 66 people need to be relocated, but only 20 have been placed in temporary housing so far, the Journal said. Some have refused to leave their homes, and some have nowhere to go, Pin added.
Officials have provided temporary shelters at public buildings around the pueblo, Pin told the Journal.
“The state is prohibited from providing funding for individual homes,” Pin said.
8:10am 10/7/10 — Kewa Pueblo Reeling from Weekend Hailstorm: Damage at pueblo formerly known as Santo Domingo could reach $1 million.
Roofs caved in, walls were made unstable and roads were washed out during a weekend hailstorm at Kewa Pueblo, the pueblo formerly known as Santo Domingo that straddles Interstate 25 between Albuquerque and Santa Fe, KRQE News 13 reported.
“It was about 6-8 inches of hail that covered the whole pueblo,” acting Lt. Gov. Sammy Garcia told News 13.
No part of the pueblo escaped damage from the golf-ball-sized hail that battered the village of about 5,000 people, according to the KRQE report.
Acting Gov. Nelson Pacheco told News 13 that he has lived in the pueblo all 60 years of his life and has never seen anything like the weekend storm.
“Everybody was calling to see if there were some emergency funds that could help the tribe out,” but no such funds were available, Pacheco told KRQE.
Garcia said damage could reach $1 million, and pueblo leaders said they have asked the office of Gov. Bill Richardson for help, News 13 said.
Officials told KRQE the pueblo is desperate and will take any kind of help, even public donations.
To contact Kewa Pueblo, call (505) 465-2214.