........................................................................................................................................................................................

Subscribe to the Journal, call 505-823-4400


  history

Journal Home-owned Since 1880
     The Albuquerque Journal is a home-owned, independent morning newspaper, which is a rarity in today's conglomerate-run newspaper industry. Published 365 days a year, the Albuquerque Journal has a circulation throughout New Mexico and into Texas, Colorado and Arizona.
     The Albuquerque Journal traces its history back to 1880. It is the successor to a newspaper called the Golden Gate, which was established in June of that year. In the fall of 1880, the owner of the Golden Gate died and Journal Publishing Company was founded. The first Albuquerque Daily Journal was published on Oct. 14, 1880.
     The Daily Journal was published on a single sheet of newsprint, folded to make four pages. Those pages were divided into five columns, and the headlines were miniature compared to those of today. Advertising appeared on the front page. The Daily Journal was published in the evening until the first Territorial Fair opened in October 1881. On Oct. 4 of that year, a morning Journal was published to record the day's events at the fair. The morning Journal continued for six issues. The last issue was published on Sunday, Oct. 9 - making it the first Sunday newspaper ever to appear in Albuquerque.
    
T.M. Pepperday, publisher 1925-1956
H.P. Pickrell, editor 1926-1964
C. Thompson Lang, publisher 1956-1971
T.H. Lang, publisher 1971-present
The Daily Journal was first published in Old Town, a present-day tourist attraction near downtown Albuquerque. In 1882 it moved to the "new" town near the railroad tracks. The operation was housed in a single room at Second and Silver streets. That year the evening paper was discontinued and the Albuquerque Morning Journal appeared. The Morning Journal continued until 1887, when it was absorbed by the Albuquerque Daily Democrat, a newspaper founded in Santa Fe which had moved to Albuquerque.
     The paper's name changed again in 1899 to the Albuquerque Journal-Democrat. A change in policy necessitated the dropping of Democrat from the paper's name in 1903, and it appeared again as the Albuquerque Morning Journal. Since 1925, the paper has been known as the Albuquerque Journal and followed an independent editorial policy.
     As New Mexico's oldest, largest and only statewide newspaper, the Albuquerque Journal not only keeps the state's citizens informed, but it keeps them connected. The newspaper has always been a forum for public debate and a medium for information, providing news coverage on important issues throughout the city, state and country.
     The Journal is home to some of the state's best-known journalists, including columnist Jim Belshaw and cartoonist John Trever. The Journal's desks keep readers informed and involved with a wide variety of issues.
     The newspaper prides itself on keeping up with the latest technology and provides a vast array of services to its readers. The Journal's Web site hosts more than 6,000 pages of news, features and information, as well as on-line advertising for readers. In print, the Journal publishes four editions a day - ensuring to provide readers with up-to-date information and breaking news stories.
     The Journal Publishing Co. is headed by brothers T.H. and W.P. Lang. T.H. Lang, president/publisher, has a longstanding interest in the state. An Albuquerque native who attended the University of New Mexico, T.H. Lang has been at the helm of the Journal since 1971. He has expanded the newspaper's presence throughout New Mexico and established Journal bureaus in Santa Fe, Las Cruces and Washington, D.C.
     W.P.Lang is also the head of Starline printing, which is a commercial printing company.
     "The Journal has always been the newspaper of record for the state, and I want our coverage and reach to live up to that," Lang said.
    In addition to the Journal's four-star or final edition, the newspaper also publishes news and advertising sections emphasizing different regions, including the Journal North, covering the state Capitol of Santa Fe and northern New Mexico; the West Side Journal, covering the metro area's West Side; and the Rio Rancho Journal, covering Rio Rancho, Corrales and parts of Bernalillo.
     Keeping with his philosophy of being the newspaper of record and information, Lang maintains an investigative team specializing in in-depth reporting on the people and institutions that affect the lives of New Mexicans. He also has fought against secrecy in government.
     "Newspapers are empowered by the people under the First Amendment to report and record for the people in our free society. This is a duty and a privilege," Lang said.
     Lang also has extended the newsroom's reach outside state borders. The newspaper has sent reporters to cover the Death Squads in El Salvador, politics in Mexico, the economic crunch in Russia and the floods in Honduras.
     Community outreach also is a commitment met by the Journal Publishing Co. In an effort to give back to the community, the Journal has awarded almost a half million dollars in college scholarships since 1984. The Journal also sponsors many events, seminars, fairs and other activities aimed at benefiting charitable organizations.
     "We are committed to participate in the ongoing progress and promise of New Mexico and Albuquerque, " Lang says.
     In 1979, imaginative plans were drawn by a few far-sighted individuals who wanted to set a new standard for a business setting in Albuquerque. They wanted to establish a quality business park, master planned for today and tomorrow. It would provide a workplace with convenient access to the city's transportation network and represent a long-term benefit to its community by encouraging clean air industry and controlled growth. Today we see those uncompromising standards in full bloom at Journal Center.
     The centerpiece of Journal Center is a campus-like environment rich with thousands of trees, shrubs and seasonal plantings. Wandering trails, miles of perfectly groomed lawns and gracefully curved streets reflect the qualities we seek in the place we work.
     Located on the rapidly developing North I-25 corridor, Journal Center is surrounded by high-tech firms who have chosen this part of the Albuquerque metroplex for their home. Many corporations have watched the development of Journal Center over the years and have selected it as their home. Mountain States Mutual, Wells Fargo, Wilson & Company, First State Bank, Albuquerque Publishing Company, Marriot Pyramid and Bank of America are just a few corporations that have recognized the advantages of establishing business in Journal Center.
     The Market Place at Journal Center is the location of several service-industry businesses such as Mail Boxes, Etc. and Sign-A-Rama. The Market Place also houses popular eateries such as Hello Deli!, Starbuck's Coffee and Blimpie Subs & Salads.
     Each project in Journal Center will restate the character of the whole park - tasteful, unique, stable.
    Journal Publishing Co. also donated $500,000 for the Albuquerque Journal Proscenium Theatre in the Roy E. Disney Center for the Performing Arts at the National Hispanic Cultural Center.
    "This is truly a jewel. It's going to be a world-renowned center, and we're very happy to be a part of that," said Journal editor Kent Walz, who presented the gift on behalf of the Journal and publisher T.H. Lang and brother W.P. Lang.

    
  History Home   The Publisher   F-Jet news team   Journal History   Pictures
FRONT PAGES: Today    Recent     Historic      Credits