CRIME
Child dead and woman, other child injured in Tijeras shooting
District Attorney Sam Bregman identified woman as employee of office
A man is behind bars after a shooting in Tijeras left a child dead and a woman and another child in critical condition on Tuesday.
The Bernalillo County Sheriff’s Office is investigating the incident but has not identified the suspect in custody or the deceased child.
The 2nd Judicial District Attorney's Office confirmed that the woman who was injured as an employee.
"While our team confronts difficult and emotional circumstances in the course of our daily work, we are, first and foremost, human," DA Sam Bregman said in a statement Tuesday morning. "News of this magnitude impacts us not only as professionals but as colleagues, friends, and members of a caring community."
At about 1:18 a.m., deputies responded to a report of a domestic violence incident in the 700 block of N.M. 333, about 6 miles south of Interstate 40, BCSO spokesperson Connor Otero said in a news release.
As deputies were en route, a woman said a man was armed with a gun before dispatch learned "shots had been fired at the residence," Otero said.
Arriving deputies shot the man with a Taser before arresting him, he said.
A child was pronounced dead at the scene while the woman and another child were taken to a local hospital in critical condition, Otero said.
"This remains an active and ongoing investigation," he said. " The identities of those involved will be released after next of kin notifications are completed. Additional information will be provided as it becomes available."
The story will be updated as more information is released.
Gregory R.C. Hasman is a general assignment reporter and the Road Warrior. He can be reached at ghasman@abqjournal.com or 505-823-3820.