........................................................................................................................................................................................

Subscribe to the Journal, call 505-823-4400








 
Featured Jobs


Featured Jobs


Feature Your Jobs: call 823-4444
Story Tools
 E-mail Story
 Print Friendly

Send E-mail
To Jim Snyder


BY Recent stories
by Jim Snyder

$$ NewsLibrary Archives search for
Jim Snyder
'95-now

Reprint story


















Newsmetro


More Newsmetro


          Front Page  news  metro




APD Patrolman Held on Rape Charge

By Jim Snyder
Journal Staff Writer
    An Albuquerque police officer was arrested Thursday afternoon on a rape charge.
    Police officer David Joseph Maes, 28, was arrested by the APD Sex Crimes Unit and charged with one count of criminal sexual penetration, a second-degree felony, police Chief Ray Schultz said during a news conference.
    Maes, a uniformed patrolman, was booked Thursday night into the Metropolitan Detention Center on a $200,000 cash-surety bond.
    Maes allegedly raped a 25-year-old woman on Oct. 4 during Maes' graveyard shift, police said.
    The woman had been arrested earlier that day, although Maes was not the arresting officer, Albuquerque police spokeswoman Trish Hoffman said. Police declined to say what the charges against the woman were.
    Schultz called the incident discouraging.
    "We hold our officers to a very high standard," he said, adding that the arrest warrant for Maes— which would provide more information— was sealed due to the ongoing investigation.
    The department put Maes on leave Thursday morning.
    Maes has been an APD police officer since January 2005.
    This is the second time an APD officer has been accused of rape in recent years.
    Timothy Chavez was arrested on rape charges in May 2005. Chavez told a jury in August that he had consensual sex with a 14-year-old girl he thought was 18.
    The girl admitted during testimony that she had lied about her age to Chavez in order to get into an adult telephone dating service.
    Chavez's trial ended in a mistrial Aug. 14 when a jury voted 11-1 for an acquittal on all but one count.
    The New Mexico Attorney General's Office filed paperwork in August saying it was dropping the sexual assault case against Chavez.
    However, the notice was filed without prejudice, meaning the case could be refiled.